What is “One Library Per Village” (OLPV) ?
“One Library Per Village”(OLPV) is non profit organisation dedicated for reducing digital divide by networking the libraries and empowering the readers with latest technological tools.
Why Libraries ?
In India, approx 40% population is living below poverty line, illiteracy rate is more than 25-30% and digital literacy is almost no-existent among more than 90% of India’s population.
Around the world, in developed as well as developing countries, Libraries play an important role in the dissemination of knowledge. The availability of information resources can often mean the difference between poverty and prosperity, particularly in underdeveloped communities.
A library is not a building stacked with books – it is a repository and source of information and
ideas, a place for learning and enquiry, and for the generation of thought and the creation of
new knowledge. Public libraries in particular have the potential to bridge the gap between the
‘information poor’ and the ‘information rich’ by ensuring that people from all sectors and settings of society and the economy across world have easy access to knowledge they seek.
OLPV provides free Internet , Tablet PC's,training,etc and convert public Libraries into a community learning center.
Uses of One Library Per Village
- Get trained to use Tablets & PC's
- Get connected to Internet
- Read Millions of e-books
- Clarify doubts with expert tutors
- Attend Online courses (MOOC)
- Apply for national/international Jobs
- Create collaborative learning groups
- Attend Online Tutoring
- Attend Lectures & Seminars
- Play educational games
For first time Internet users OLPV is a boon.
- We provide free Tablets PC & Internet connection.
- Arrange volunteers for organising events/ sessions.
- Free website
- Online Library managment program.
- Support in procuring books and educational tools
- Promotional support
What OLPV do ?
- Digitilize Libraries in Villages/town.
- Network all Libraries using Apps
- Provide free Internet to Library members ( free wifi ).
- Provide Training to Volunteers to teach first time Internet users.
- Convert Libraries into community learning centers.
- Enhance elearning activities in Library thru MOOC/Online tutoring.
- Support local authors to publish their e-content
Role of OLPV in Villages ?
OLPV play a vital role in community development
In rural areas, the local library, along with the village hall, pub and shop, is the focal point of community life. It’s a safe, trusted place for meeting friends and neighbours, a place for learning, information and leisure and sometimes just a place to keep warm.
OLPV help to bridge the digital divide
The Library will be with in the reach of local area, it should be accessible to all within the village.
Common people in rural areas face significant challenges when it comes to IT access, including infrastructure problems and set-up costs.Libraries are social places where people can chat, read and keep in touch with the outside world. Layman who can’t access computer or Tablets get support
Difference between OLPV & CSC (Aakshya) ?
CSC or Aakshaya centres are commercial places where people can get almost all digital services related to Government. It’s one of the most useful and must service for general public.
Library creates a collaborative learning atmosphere where people can come any time and get support from others . In library empowering happens through collaboration.
How OLPV works?
- Tablets with internet provided according to existing membership
- Student volunteers from of nearest college will undertake responsibilities of the Library.
- Each library have separate website where activities of members updated.
- Library will act local point for implementing MyGov activities.
- According to activities of Library and requirement further support provided.